FYI STUDENT ALLY
FYI envisions a future in which every youth leaving the system feels connected, confident and loved. FYI Student Allies will have a unique opportunity to directly impact the lives of foster youth (age 16 – 24) by providing support and helping them obtain the resources they need. Student Allies will encourage youth, cheering them on as they work to complete a post-secondary education.
Anyone with passion and a commitment to helping foster youth may apply to become an FYI Student Ally. Student Allies need to have access to a car and be able to show proof of state-required liability coverage, and commit to local driving to meet with youth as needed. Student Allies must also undergo a criminal background check to determine suitability of serving as a volunteer.
Expectations/Responsibilities of FYI Student Ally:
- Establish a relationship with the youth to better understand his or her needs and goals.
- Be a consistent person to rely on, providing comfort, encouragement and guidance through challenges, times of need and celebrations.
- Complete pre-service training and attend occasional workshops and FYI functions.
- Commit to volunteering as a Student Ally for a minimum of one year.
- Meet with student at least once per month (coffee, lunch, an activity, appointment) and contact student via phone, text, or email at least once per week. Time commitment is estimated to be 8 to 10 hours per month.
- Help student connect to on-campus support and resources for foster youth.
- Assist student with setting basic and realistic academic goals using resources provided by FYI.
- Assist student with completing and submitting college applications and FAFSA (financial aid) forms and securing financial aid. Refer to FYI office if needed.
- Help student or refer student to FYI to secure housing if there is no option of staying with a foster family or if their housing situation changes.
pROCESS OF BECOMING AN ALLY:
- Review Student Ally position
- Contact FYI/Request application
- Submit Application
- Meet with FYI Staff Member
- Attend a training session
- Complete Live Scan Background Check
- Meet with your youth
If you are interested in this life changing role, please fill out the form below. We will be in contact with you soon.